Modeling and Control of a Fixed-Wing High-Speed Mini-UAV
High-speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) will be an interesting subject of
study in today’s aviation technology because of their ingenuity in obtaining high
speeds while maintaining good maneuverability. In this study, modeling and
control of a fixed-wing high-speed mini-UAV are performed. Aerodynamic
analyses of the vehicle with a wingspan of 1.2 meters and a total take-off weight
of 1.1 kg are done with the help of some computational fluid dynamics software.
A developed MATLAB/Simulink code evaluates flight performance after a
doublet control surface disturbance with six-degrees-of-freedom flight
simulations in both longitudinal and lateral directions by a developed
MATLAB/Simulink code. The transfer functions are obtained by trimming the
aircraft at wing-level for a speed of 155 km/h, and the maximum speed that the
mini-UAV could reach is calculated as 400 km/h. Two kinds of different linear
controllers are designed to hold the pitch angle of the vehicle to the desired
value. The time responses of the controllers are represented, and the elevator
deflection effort is evaluated. Finally, a compulsive pitch angle is wanted to be
tracked by the two controllers, and their responses are compared in terms of
performance and stability.
- Anjali, B. S., Vivek, A., & Nandagopal, J. L. (2016). Simulation and Analysis of Integral LQR Controller for Inner Control Loop Design of a Fixed Wing Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV). Procedia Technology, (25), 76- 83.
- Ashari, A., Dharmawan, A., Fadhli, & H., Handayani, A. (2019). Flight Trajectory Control System on Fixed Wing UAV using Linear Quadratic Regulator. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), 8(8), 2278-0181.
- Bautista-Medina, J. A., Lozano, R., & Osorio-Cordero, A. (2021). Modeling and Control of a Single Rotor Composed of Two Fixed Wing Airplanes. Drones, 5(3), 92.
- Bougas, L., & Hornung, M. (2013). Propulsion system integration and thrust vectoring aspects for scaled jet UAVs. CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 4(3), 327-343.
- Çoban, S. (2019). Different Autopilot Systems Design for a Small Fixed Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Avrupa Bilim ve Teknoloji Dergisi, (17), 682-691.
- Daidzic, N. E. (2015). Mathematical Model of Hot-Air Balloon Steady-State Vertical Flight Performance. Aviation, 25(3), 149-158.
- Dharmawan, A., Putra, A. E., Tresnayana, M., & Wicaksono W. A. (2019, January). The Obstacle Avoidance System in A Fixed-Wing UAV When Flying Low Using LQR Method. In International Conference on Computer Engineering Network, and Intelligent Multimedia (CENIM) (pp. 1-7).
- Dündar, Ö., Bilici, M., & Ünler, T. (2020). Design and performance analyses of a fixed wing battery VTOL UAV. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 23(5), 1182-1193.
- Emhemed, A. A., & Mamat, R. B. (2012). Modelling and Simulation for Industrial DC Motor Using Intelligent Control. Procedia Engineering, 41, 420-425.
- Gryte, K., Hann, R., Alam, M., Rohac, J., Johansen, T.A., & Fossen, T.I. (2018). Aerodynamic modeling of the Skywalker X8 Fixed-Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), (pp. 826–835).
- Hajiyev, C., & Vural, S. Y. (2013). LQR Controller with Kalman Estimator Applied to UAV Longitudinal Dynamics. Positioning, 4(1), 36-41.
- Kaba, A. (2020). A Comparative Study on the Tuning of the PID Flight Controllers Using Swarm Intelligence. International Journal of Aviation Science and Technology, 1(2), 80-91.
- Kaya, M. N., Kok, A. R., & Kurt, H. (2021). Comparison of aerodynamic performances of various airfoils from different airfoil families using CFD. Wind and Structures, 32(3), 239-248.
- Khan, W., & Nahon, M. (2015, June). Real-time modeling of agile fixed-wing UAV aerodynamics. In International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS) (pp. 1188-1195).
- LJ-1 (Target Drone), Available at: https://www.militarydrones.org.cn/lj-1-highspeed-target-drone-p00452p1.html, (accessed 1 March 2022).
- Mahmuddina, F. (2017). Rotor Blade Performance Analysis with Blade Element Momentum Theory. Energy Procedia, 105(2017), 1123-1129.
- Mekuria, S., Belete, M., & Niguse, B. (2021). Fixed Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Control by Using a Nonlinear PID Controller. Journal of Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Control and Computer Science, 7(24), 39-46.
- Nicolosi, F., Vecchia, P. D., & Ciliberti, D. (2013). An investigation on vertical tailplane contribution to aircraft sideforce. Aerospace Science and Technology, 28(1), 401-416.
- Yanık, N. S., Özyetiş, E., Güçlü, Ö., Kayran, A., Kıran, E., & Alemdaroğlu, N. (2014, May). Design and manufacturing of a high-speed jet powered UAV. In International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS) (pp. 1073-1080).
- Padfield, G., Helicopter Flight Dynamics (1996): The Theory and Application of Flying Qualities and Simulation Modeling. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Panagiotou, P., Kaparos, P., & Yakinthos, K. (2014). Winglet design and optimization for a MALE UAV using CFD. Aerospace Science and Technology, 39(2014), 190-205.
- Petersen, I. R., & Hollot, C. V. (1986). A riccati equation approach to the stabilization of uncertain linear systems. Automatica, 22(4), 397-411.
- Philips, W. F., & Santana, B. W. (2002). Aircraft SmallDisturbance Theory with Longitudinal&Lateral Coupling. Journal of Aircraft, 39(6), 973-980.
- Pylon Racer (Racing aircrafts), Available at: https://icareicarus.3dcartstores.com/PylonRacer-F5D_c_28.html, (accessed 1 March 2022).
- Saeed, A., Younes, A. B., Islam, S., Dias, J., Seneviratne, L., & Cai, G. (2015, June). A review on the platform design, dynamic modeling, and control of hybrid UAVs. In International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS) (pp. 806-815).
- Sanchez-Rivera, L. M., Lozano, R., & Arias-Montano, A. (2020). Development, Modeling and Control of a Dual Tilt-Wing UAV in Vertical Flight. Drones, 4(4), 71.
- Mobarez, E. N., Sarhan, A., & Ashry, M. M. (2019). Modeling of fixed wing UAV and design of multivariable flight controller using PID tuned by local optimal control. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 610 (2019) 012016.
- Sufendi, Trilaksono, B.R., Nasution, S.H., & Purwanto, E.B. (2013). Design and implementation of hardware-in-the-loop-simulation for UAV using PID control method. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Instrumentation, Communications, Information Technology, and Biomedical Engineering (pp. 124–130).
- Wang, Y., Zhu, H., Zhao, Z., Zhang, C., & Lan, Y. (2021). Modeling, System Measurements and Controller Investigation of a Small Battery-Powered FixedWing UAV. Machines, 9(12), 333.
- Wang, Y., Zhu, H., Zhao, Z., Zhang, C., & Lan, Y. (2021). Modeling, System Measurements and Controller Investigation of a Small Battery-Powered Fixed Wing UAV. Machines, 9(12), 333.
- Wang, Y., Zhou, Y., & Lin, C. (2019). Modeling and control for the mode transition of a novel tilt-wing UAV. Aerospace Science and Technology, 91(2019), 593- 606.
- Yin, Q., Wei, X., Nie, H., & Deng, J. (2021). Parameter effects on high-speed UAV ground directional stability using bifurcation analysis. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 34(11), 1-14.