Air Quality Studies at Ukrainian Airports
Sustainability of aviation must be provided to limit the harmful influence and protect public health and the environment. As a rule, national and international regulations aim to reduce ambient air pollution from the aviation sector. Ukraine and other countries have historically adopted international regulations concerning air quality to protect public health and the natural environment. Local regulations also regulate it. However, these documents cover mainly stationary emission sources. In contrast, mobile sources, especially aircraft, are not considered, although, unlike most transportation modes, aircraft travel great distances at various altitudes, generating emissions that potentially impact air quality. This paper was aimed to study the principles and methods to monitor air pollution from aircraft engines at main airports of Europe, North America, and Asia. Based on measurement campaign analysis at some airports of the world and modelling results by complex model PolEmiCa (Pollution and Emission Calculation), the method and technical characteristics for measurement system detect the aircraft engine emissions. The developed practical recommendations were realised at Ukrainian airports and used for validation of model PolEmiCa. Thus, the modelling results for each engine are in good agreement with the results of measurements by the AC32M Nitrogen Oxides (NOX) analyser system due to considering the jet and plume-regime during an experimental investigation at Boryspol airport. Analysis of measured instantaneous concentration demonstrates a high correlation with the runway movements and take-off at Zhulyany airport.
Aircraft engine emission, Air pollution, Local air quality, Monitoring of air pollution, Emission index
- Abramovich, G.I., 1987, Theory of turbulent jets, 568 p.
- ACARE Goals, 2008, Available at: https://trimis.ec.europa.eu/project/acare-goalsprogress-evaluation (Accessed: 24 June 2021).
- Air Code of Ukraine, (2011), 48, p.536.
- Annex 16 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. Vol. II: Aircraft engine emissions, 1993, ICAO, 249 р.
- Zanetti, A., Sabatini, R. and Gardi, A., 2016, Introducing green life cycle management in the civil aviation industry: the state-of-the-art and the future. International Journal of Sustainable Aviation, 2(4), pp.348-380.BAA Corporate Responsibility Report, 2008, BAA Limited, 38 p.
- Celikel, A. et al., 2005, Airport local air quality studies: concept document. EUROCONTROL Experimental Centre EEC/SEE/2005/003
- European Aviation Environmental Report, 2019, EEA, Eurocontrol, EASA FAA Aviation Emissions, Impacts & Mitigation A Primer, 2015, Washington (42 pp.).
- Fleuti, E. and Hofmann, P., 2005, Air Pollution Monitoring at Zurich Airport . Unique (Flughafen Zurich AG), 22 p.
- Flightpath 2050 Europe’s Vision for Aviation. Report of the High Level Group on Aviation Research, 2011, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union (28 p.).
- Graham, A., et al., 2008, Air quality in airport approaches impact of emissions from aircraft in ground run and flight. Cambridge, 1900-1915
- Herndon and S., Jayne, J., 2008a, Commercial Aircraft Engine Emissions Characterization of in-Use Aircraft at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International. Journal of Airport Environ. Sci. Technol., 1877-1883.
- Herndon and S., Jayne, J., 2008b, NO and NO2 Emission ratios measured from in-use commercial aircraft during taxi and take-off. Journal of Environ. Sci. Technol, 6078-6084 p.
- ICAO Doc 9184. Airport Planning Manual. Land Use and Environment Control, 2002, 3rd edition, 124 p.
- ICAO Doc 9889.Airport Air Quality, 2011, 1st ed., 200 pp ICAO Global Aviation and Our Sustainable Future, 2015, International Civil Aviation Organization Briefing for RIO+20, Montreal (14 pp.).
- IQ Air, AirVisual, 2018, World Air Quality Report Kurtnebach R. et al., 2015, Measurement of aircraft engine emissions inside the airport area, 4th International Conference on Transport, Atmosphere and Climate (TAC-4), Bad Kohlgrub, Germany, p.10.
- Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 2019, State sanitary rules planning and development of settlement, available at: http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0379- 96 (accessed 07.03.2019)
- Report of Heathrow Air Quality Strategy, 2011, Url: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/27477353/heathrow-air-quality-strategy-heathrowairport/23, (Accessed 07.02.2021).
- Wayson, R. and Fleming, G., 2002, Preliminary report: The use of Lidar to characterise aircraft initial plume characteristics. FAA-AEE-02-04.
- Zaporozhets, O. and Synylo, K., 2016, Estimation of buoyancy effect and penetration length of jet from aircraft engine by large eddy simulation method. International Journal of Sustainable.
- Zaporozhets, O. And Synylo, K., 2017, Improvements on aircraft engine emission and emission inventory assessment inside the airport area. Journal of Energy,140, p.1350-1357.
- Zaporozhets, O., Synylo, K., Wiesen, P., Kurtenbuch, R., 2016, Comparison of measured and modelled NOx concentrations in plume of aircraft engine for takeoff conditions ISSA-2016 Proceedings, ISBN 978- 605-89885-7-6, Istanbul, Turkey, 29 May – 1 June 2016, Pp. 136-140: http://issasci.org/issa2016/program.html