Ergonomic Risk Factors in Ground Handling Operations to Improve Corporate Performance
Ground handling operations can be accepted as the heart of safe flight,
beginning from the ground to the air. In ground handling activities where
there is tight time pressure, human resources are of great importance in
efficient and safe service. This study presents ergonomic risk factors affecting
the operational and corporate performance of aircraft ground handling
services. Ergonomic related performance fields are identified via expert
opinion and a taxonomy focusing on classified error conditions for ground
handling services. The taxonomy is developed to improve corporate
performance while eliminating ergonomic risks and maintaining a safe
working environment. Identified performance risks are intended to be a guide
for operational managers in aircraft ground operations in the field of
investments, decision making and safe operations.
- Adar, T. and Delice, E.K., 2020, Comparison of the total workload of local public transportation drivers with a new approach according to physical and mental workload criteria. Pamukkale University Journal of Engineering Sciences, 26(1), 254-267.
- Asadi, H., Mott, J.H., Yu, D., 2019, Risk factors for musculoskeletal injuries among airport customer service employees, Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2019 Annual Meeting, pp.1964-1968
- Bastola, D.P., 2017, Models and Measurements of Organizational Performance with Particular Reference to The Aviation Industry, international Journal of Current Research Vol. 9, Issue, 09, September, pp.58393-58402, ISSN: 0975-833X
- Bendak, S. and Rashid, H.S.J., 2020, Fatigue in aviation: A systematic review of the literature, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Volume 76, 102928.
- Bergsten, E. L., 2017, Working conditions and musculoskeletal disorders in flight baggage handling. Digital Comprehensive Summaries of Uppsala Dissertations from the Faculty of Medicine 1321. 59 pp. Uppsala: Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis. ISBN 978-91-554-9868-9
- Can, G.F. and Delice, E.K., 2017, A New Equation for Determining Physical Workload: A Case Study in A Box Letter Manufacturing Process International Symposium for Production Research, Vienna.
- Chang, Y.H. and Wang, Y.C., 2010, “Significant human risk factors in aircraft maintenance technicians”, Safety Science, 48 (1), pp. 54-62.
- Čokorilo, O., Dell’Acqua, G., 2013, Aviation Hazards Identification Using Safety Management System (SMS) Techniques, May, Conference: 16th International conference on transport science ICTS 2013, Available at: Portorož, Slovenia http://epa.edu.pe/pdf/Cokorilo_DellAcqua.pdf
- Contego Aviation, 2018, The health and safety hazards faced by airport ground handling staff, Contego Aviation Solutions, Available at: https://www.contegoaviation.co.uk/health-safety-hazards-faced-airport-ground-handling-staff/ (Accessed in 14.06.2021).
- Delice, E.K. (2016). Acil Servis Hekimlerinin Nasa-Rtlx Yöntemi İle Zihinsel İş Yüklerinin Değelendirilmesi: Bir Uygulama Çalışması. Atatürk Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, Cilt: 30 Sayı: 3.645-662.
- Duignan, C.A., Fallon, E. F., 2005, Best Manual Handling Practices at Dublin Airport Final Report, Health and Safety Authority, Available at: https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Workplace_Health/Manual_Handling/Manual_Handling_Research_Reports/Manual_Handling_Dublin_Airport.pdf, ISBN 1-84496-024-2
- Dupin, S., Thiebaut, T., Turcot, N., 2015, Ground Handling and Flight Safety Basics, Best Practices and Awareness-Raising, Technical Guide, Civil Aviation Technical Center Capacity, Environment, Master plans department, DGAC, STAC
- Ek, A., Akselsson, R., 2007, Aviation on the Ground: Safety Culturein a Ground Handling Company, The International Journal of Aviation Psychology,17(1), 59–76
- EMC Insurance Companies, 2021 Ergonomic Risk Factors, Tech Sheets, Loss Control, Business Life Reinsrunce, Available at: https://www.emcins.com/losscontrol/techsheet.aspx?techsheetid=566 (Accessed May 31, 2021)
- Emeç, Ş. and Akkaya, G., 2018, Sağlık Sektöründe Zihinsel İş Yükü Değerlendirmesi Ve Bir Uygulama. Ergonomi 1(3), 156 – 162.
- European Commission (EC)., 2021, Air-Groundhandling. Mobility and Transport, Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/airports/ground_handling_market_en, (Accessed 21.03.2021).
- FAA Federal Aviation Administration, 2007, Operator’s Manual Human Factors in Airport Operations, HFM-AO-07-01, Available at: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/maintenance_hf/library/documents/media/support_documentation/opsman_ramp_final.pdf
- FAA ATA Specification 113- Chapter 7, Ergonomics, Maintenance Human Factors Program Guidelines, Available at: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/maintenance_hf/library/documents/media/mx_faa_(formerly_hfskyway)/ata_specification_113_maintenance_human_factors_program_guidelines/chapter7.pdf
- Fogarty, G. J., 2004, “The role of organizational and individual variables in aircraft maintenance performance”, International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 4(1), 73-90.
- Guest, D.E., Michie, J., Conway, N. and Sheehan, M., 2003, Human Resource Management and Corporate Performance in the UK, British Journal of Industrial Relations, 41:2 June, 0007–1080 pp. 291–314
- Harnois, G., Gabrie, P., 2000, Mental health and work: Impact, issues and good practices, World Health Organization, Geneva: WHO/MSD/MPS/00.2 ISBN 92 4 159037 8, ISSN 1726-1155
- ICAO, 2002, Doc 9806 AN/763, Human Factors Guidelines for Safety Audits Manual, Chapter 6, Human Factors in Aircraft Maintenance, Human Factors Guidelines for Safety Audits Manual, First Edition, International Civil Aviation Organization
- iJET, The Top Challenges Facing Airport Ramp Operations, Available at: https://ijet.aero/ijet-blog/challenges-ramp-operations, (Accessed: April 25, 2021).
- Iowa State University, 2021, Risk Factors, Environmental Health and Safety, Available at: https://www.ehs.iastate.edu/services/occupational/ergonomics/risk-factors.
- Kansoy, S.U., Bakanoğlu, K., 2021, The Importance of Human Factors in Aviation Companies, International Journal of Arts and Social Science, Volume 4, Issue 2, Available at: www.ijassjournal.com, ISSN: 2581-7922, (March-April.)
- Kushnir, J., 1995, Stress in ground support personnel, En J. Ribak, R.J. Rayman y P. Froom (Eds.), Occupational health in aviation: Maintenance and support personnel (pp. 51-72), San Diego, California: Academic Press.
- Luxhøj, J.T., Choopavang, A., Arendt, D.N., 2001, Risk Assessment of Organizational Factors in Aviation Systems, Air Traffic Control Quarterly, Vol. 9(3) 135–174 CCC 1064-3818/95/030163-20
- Luxhøj, J.T., 2002, Risk analysis of human performance in aviation maintenance, 16th Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance Symposium, April 2-4, Available at: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/maintenance_hf/library/documents/media/mx_faa_(formerly_hfskyway)/16th_symposium/risk_analysis_of_human_performance_in_aviation_maintenance.pdf
- Luxhøj, J.T., Coit, D.W., 2006, Modeling Low Probability/High Consequence Events: An Aviation Safety Risk Model, RAMS ’06, Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, 2006, IEEE Xplore Newport Beach, CA, USA, Available at: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.121.3175&rep=rep1&type=pdf (DOI: 10.1109/RAMS.2006.1677377)
- Middlesworth, M., 2018, The Art and Science of Injury Prevention, ErgoPlus, 2021, Available at: https://www.ergo-plus.com/the-art-and-science-of-injury-prevention/, (Accessed May 31, 2021)
- Raymond, C. A., 1988, Mental stress: “Occupational injury” of the 1980’s that even pilots can’t rise above.J.A.M.A. 21, 3097-3098.
- Rankin, W., Hibit, R., Allen, J. and Sargent, R., 2000, “Development and evaluation of the Maintenance Error Decision Aid (MEDA) process”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol. 26, pp. 261‐76.
- Reason J., 2000, “Human error: models and management”, British Medical Journal, 320 (7237), pp. 768–770. Reason J., 1997, Managing the risks of organizational accidents, Aldershot: Ashgate, United Kingdom.
- Riley, D., 2009, Reducing the risks associated with the manual handling of air passenger baggage for narrow bodied aircraft, RR674 Research Report, Health and Safety Laboratory, HSE Books – Health and Safety Executive.
- Sari, M., Arubusman, D.A., Abbas, S., 2015, Airport Ramp Risk Analysis at Halim Perdanakusuma, Jurnal Manajemen Transportasi & Logistik, Vol2, No 3, Nov. ISSN 2355-4721
- Seeley, P., 2009, Safety Matters: Ergonomics Make Sense for Your Health and Your Bottom Line, Aviation Pros, Available at: https://www.aviationpros.com/aoa/aircraft-rescue-firefighting-arff/arff-training/article/10374507/ergonomics
- Smedje G, Lundén M, Gärtner L, Lundgren H, and Lindgren T., 2011, Hearing status among aircraft maintenance personnel in a commercial airline company, Noise Health, [serial online], 2011, 13:364-70. Available at: https://www.noiseandhealth.org/text.asp?2011/13/54/364/85509, (Accessed Sep 5 2021)
- Sun, K.S. and Chiou, H., 2011, Aviation ground crews: Occupational stresses and work performance, frican Journal of Business Management Vol. 5(7), pp. 2865-2873, 4 April, 2011, Available at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJBM, DOI: 10.5897/AJBM10.1333 ISSN 1993-8233, (Accessed Aug 31 2021)
- Techathammawong, T., 2016, AVT1305 Airport Ramp Operations, Airport Management Program International College of Mekong Region Chiang Rai Rajabhat University, Available at: http://icmr.crru.ac.th/.
- Toriizuka, T., 2001, “Application of performance shaping factor (PSF) for work improvement in industrial plant maintenance tasks”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 28, pp. 225-236.
- UC San Diego, 2021, Ergonomics: Risk Factors, Ergonomics, Occupational, Safety, Regents of the University of California.
- Uchroński, P., 2020, Analysis of the Operation of the Ground Handling Agent in the Aspect of Safety, Journal of KONBiN, Volume 50, Issue 1, pp.319-339, DOI 10.2478/jok-2020-0019 Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341660234_Analysis_of_the_Operation_of_the_Ground_Handling_Agent_in_the_Aspect_of_Safety, (Accessed Jun 15 2021)
- University of Cape Town (a), 2021, Module: introduction to Ergonomics, Ergonomic Risk Factors, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Publish Health and Family Medicine, Post Graduate Diploma in Occupational and Environmental Health, 2021.
- University of Cape Town (b), 2021, Module: introduction to Ergonomics, The Process of Ergonomics Workplase Risk Assessment, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Publish Health and Family Medicine, Post Graduate Diploma in Occuoational and Environmental Health, 2021.
- Westgaard, R.H., Winkel, J., 1996, Guidelines for occupational musculoskeletal load as a basis for intervention: a critical review, Applied Ergonomics, 27.
- Wigmore, I., 2015, Corporate performance WhatIs, Available at: https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/corporate-performance
- Yazgan, E., 2018, Development taxonomy of human risk factors for corporate sustainability in aviation sector, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 90(6):1012-1022