A Leader-Follower Trajectory Tracking Controller for Multi-Quadrotor Formation Flight
The aim of this work is to design a control system based on modern control
methods to control flight formations of quadrotor unmanned aerial vehicles. A
leader-follower methodology is implemented where the leader vehicle has some
predefined trajectory, and the follower vehicles are controlled in order to track
the leader while keeping a constant displacement. The formation control
system, responsible for the vehicle formation, considers, at first, only the motion
at a constant height, and secondly, the three-dimensional motion. In both cases,
the nonlinear control laws are derived based on Lyapunov stability theory and
the Backstepping method. The control laws are validated in simulation, resorting
to a realistic environment and vehicle models.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- Alcocer, R., Valenzuela, J., & Colorado, R. (2016). A robust approach for trajectory tracking control of a quadrotor with experimental validation. ISA Transactions, 65, 262-274.
- Bacelar, T., Cardeira, C., & Oliveira, P. (2019). Cooperative Load Transportation with Quadrotors. IEEE International Conference on Autonomous Robot Systems and Competions, (pp. 1-6).
- Balch, T., & Arkin, R. (1998). Behavior-based formation control for multirobot teams. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 14, 926 939.
- Bouabdallah, S., & Siegwart, R. (2005). Backstepping and Sliding-Mode Techniques Applied to an Indoor Micro Quadrotor. International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- Das, A., Fierro, R., Kumar, V., Ostrowski, J., Spletzer, J., & Taylor, C. (2002). A vision-based formation control framework. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 18, 813-825.
- Ju, C., & Son, H. (2018). Multiple UAV Systems for Agricultural Applications: Control, Implementation and Evaluation. Electronics, 7.
- Khalil, H. (2014). Nonlinear Systems. Pearson.
- Leonard, N., & Fiorelli, E. (2001). Virtual leaders, artificial potentials and coordinated control of groups. Proceedings of the 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 3, pp. 2968-2973.
- Pounds, P., Mahony, R., & Corke, P. (2010). Modelling and control of a large quadrotor robot. Control Engineering Practice, 18, 691-699.
- Rosalie, M., Dentler, J., Danoy, G., Bouvry, P., Kannan, S., Mendez, M., & Voos, H. (2017). Area exploration with a swarm of UAVs combining deterministic chaotic ant colony mobility with position MPC. International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, (pp. 1392-1397).
- Scherer, J., & Rinner, B. (2020). Multi-UAV Surveillance With Minimum Information Idleness and Latency Constraints. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 4812-4819.
- Shao, J., Xie, G., & Wang, L. (2007). Leader-following formation control of multiple mobile vehicles. IET Control Theory and Applications, 1, 545-552.