Article - 1
Article - 1
An Exploratory Study of Pilot Training and Recruitment in Europe
Pilot training and recruitment is of fundamental importance for the aviation industry. Yet, a number of Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL) applicants trained by Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) fail their airline assessments. To provide some clarity on why this is happening, we conducted in-depth interviews with twelve industry professionals and a detailed documentary analysis was undertaken. We found that the main reasons are: (1) Lack of preparation or technical knowledge; (2) Poor communication skills; and (3) Poor display of teamwork and leadership. The paper suggests that regulation should be implemented for ATO’s to use screening processes on potential students to increase quality or Airline Pilot Standard Multi Crew-Cooperation (APS MCC) system, as an additional training system on top of what is being taught in ATOs. Regulations should further be linked with regular audits in place for smaller airlines to increase the effectiveness of their pilot assessments and recruitment processes in order to increase safety. Areas of further research as also identified.
Pilot Training.Approved Training Organizations.Safety in Aviation.Aviation Regulation.Pilot Assessment.Pilot recruitment
- AAIU. (2020). Reports Overview. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from http://www.aaiu.ie/reports
- Airbus. (2019, August). Global Market Forecast: 2019-2038. Retrieved November 2nd, 2019, from https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corporate-topics/strategy/global-market-forecast/GMF-2019-2038-Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft-book.pdf
- Andraši, P., Domitrović, A., & Topolčány, R. (2014, November 13-14th). Organisation Management and Compliance Monitoring of Approved Training Organisation. Zagreb, Croatia: International Conference of Air Transport, INAR 2014:“Europe: How to Stay Connected?”.
- AON. (2020). Cut-e: Talent Assessment for Aviation. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://assessment.aon.com/en-us/assessment-solutions/assessing-for-the-aviation-sector
- BEA. (2020). Recent Investigations. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.bea.aero/index.php?id=8&no_cache=1&L=1
- BFU. (2020). BFU Publications – Investigation Reports. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publications/Investigation%20Report/reports_node.html
- Boeing. (2019). Boeing’s Market Outlook: Pilot & Technician Outlook. Retrieved November 2nd, 2019, from https://www.boeing.com/commercial/market/pilot-technician-outlook/
- Burns, M. (2018). Everything You Need to Know About Becoming an Airline Pilot (1st ed.). Dublin: Kingdom Printers Limited.
- Butcher, J. N. (2003). Assessing Pilots with ‘the Wrong Stuff’: A Call for Research on Emotional Health Factors in Commercial Aviators. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 10(1-2).
- CAE. (2017, June). Airline Pilot Demand Outlook: 10-year view. Retrieved November 3rd, 2019, from https://www.cae.com/media/documents/Civil_Aviation/CAE-Airline-Pilot-Demand-Outlook-Spread.pdf
- CAE. (2020). Our Pilot Training Programmes. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/become-a-pilot/our-pilot-training-programmes/integrated-atpl-oxford/
- Civil Aviation Training Magazine. (2019). Serious Business in Berlin. CAT, 1(6), pp. 1-4.
- Cowan, N. (2008). What are the differences between long-term, short-term, and working memory? In W. S. Sossin, J.-C. Lacaille, V. F. Castellucci, & S. Belleville (Eds.), Progress in brain research (pp. pp. 323-338). Missouri: Elsevier.
- DSB. (2020). Dutch Safety Board – All Investigations. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/page/368/aviation#eyJoYXNvYmplY3RzIjpbXSwiYW55a2V5d29yZCI6W10sInR5cGUiOiJsaXN0IiwiZmFjZXRzIjp7fX0=
- EASA. (2011, November 3). Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011. Official Journal of the European Commission.
- EASA. (2016). NPA 2016-16: Regular update of Part-FCL – Regular update of Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 regarding pilot training ad licensing and the related oversight. Cologne, Germany: EASA.
- Efthymiou, M., & Papatheodorou, A. (2020). Environmental Policies in European Aviation: A Stakeholder Management Perspective. In Sustainable Aviation (pp. 101-125). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- EPST. (2020). European Pilot Selection & Training: Types of Aptitude Tests. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://pilotaptitudetest.com/knowledgebase_category/aptitude-test-types/
- Efthymiou, M., Usher, D., O’Connell, J. F., Warnock-Smith, D., & Conyngham, G. (2021). The factors influencing entry level airline pilot retention: An empirical study of Ryanair. Journal of Air Transport Management, 91, 101997.
- FTE Jerez. (2019). Airline First Officer Programme: Fees and Payment. Retrieved November 7th, 2019, from http://www.ftejerez.com/downloads/FTE_AFOP_price_sheet.pdf
- Hilliard, M. (2017). The Irish Times. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/concerned-pilots-say-deregulation-has-undermined-their-work-1.3167723
- ICAO. (2006). International Standards and Recommended Practices: Annex 1 to the Convention on the International Civil Aviation – Personnel Licensing. Montreal: ICAO.
- ICAO. (2016). Doc 9868, Procedures for Air Navigation Services – Training. Montreal: ICAO.
- Kaspers, S., Karanikas, N., Roelen, A., Piric, S., Aalst, R. v., & Boer, R. d. (2016). Exploring the diversity in safety measurement practices: Empirical results from aviation. Journal of Safety Studies , 2(2), 18-29.
- Kelly, D., & Efthymiou, M. (2019). An analysis of human factors in fifty controlled flight into terrain aviation accidents from 2007 to 2017. Journal of Safety Research, 69, 155-165.
- Lehman, C. (2014). Bringing Walls Down in Berlin. The Journal for Civil Aviation Training (CAT), 1(1), pp. 10-14.
- Mavin, T. J., Roth, W.-M., & Dekker, S. (2013). Understanding Variance in Pilot Performance Ratings. Aviation Psychology and Applied Human Factors, 3, 53-62.
- Mitchell, S. J., & Evans, A. D. (2004). Flight Safety and Medical Incapacitation Risk of Airline Pilots. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, 75(3), 260-268.
- Morse, J. M. (1998). The Contracted Relationship: Ensuring Protection of Anonymity and Confidentiality. Qualitative Health Research, 8(3), pp. 301-303.
- Murphy, G., & Efthymiou, M. (2017). Aviation safety regulation in the multi-stakeholder environment of an airport. Journal of Air Transport Studies, 8(2), 1-26.
- O’Shea, A. (2014). Competency Based Training and Assessment in APS MCC. Berlin: European Airline Training Symposium (EATS).
- Pulakos, E. D., & Schmitt, N. (1995). Experience-based and situational interview questions: Studies of validity. Personnel Psychology, 48(2), pp. 289-308.
- Renehan, D., & Efthymiou, M. (2020). Transatlantic Market Competition between Hybrid Carrier and Long-Haul Low-Cost Carrier Business Models. Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, 12, e1820. https://dx.doi.org/10.5028/jatm.v12.1110
- SIAF. (2019). Airliner Veering Off the Runway During Landing Roll at Savonlinna Airport on 7 January 2019. Helsinki: Safety Investigation Authority Finland.
- Valenta, V. (2018). Effects of Airline Industry Growth on Pilot Training. MAD – Magazine of Aviation Development, 6(4), pp. 52-56.
- Wizz Air. (2019). Wizz Air Pilot Academy: Program Guidebook. Retrieved November 4th, 2019, from https://pilot-academy.wizzair.com/assets/pdf/WAPA_brochure_UNIFIED.pdf