Article - 1
Article - 1
An Assessment of Aircraft Maintenance Technician Competency
Aircraft maintenance activities are one of the most important criteria for the safe and effective execution of aviation operations., In aircraft accidents and incidents, maintenance factor is vital for the development of safety for organizations, authorities, and countries in the aviation field. Effective maintenance activities will also contribute to the costs of organizations by ensuring the safe operations of aircraft with people. Maintenance activities are carried out by maintenance technicians in areas such as hangars or aprons. Aircraft maintenance technicians’ performance in performing maintenance activities directly impacts flight safety and technician safety, which in turn has a positive or negative impact on organizations. Improving technician competency assessment processes can reduce maintenance errors, improve technician performance, create positive impacts on safe and efficient flight operations, reduce maintenance costs and benefit of the entire aviation industry. Technician competency should be considered in performance evaluations and assignments by assessing at all levels with the compatibility of widely used human resources management methods. In this study, technician competency assessment processes are mentioned, the effects of these processes on aviation safety are explained and solutions are proposed to develop and apply the assessment processes.
Aircraft maintenance.Aircraft maintenance technician competency.Competency assessment.Human factors
- Turhan, U. (2019). Operator Performance in Aviation Safety: Human Factors and Neuroscience. New Trens in Management Studies, edited by Özer Yılmaz, Peter Lang, 263-276. Berlin.
- Shanmugam, A. & Paul Robert, T, (2015). Ranking of Aircraft Maintenance Organization Based on Human Factor Performance Computers & Industrial Engineering, no. 88, 410-416.
- Güneş, T. (2016) Hava Aracı Bakım Dokümanlarının Emniyet ve Etkinliğinin Artırılmasına Yönelik Bir Yaklaşım Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Anadolu Üniversitesi.
- Doll, R.E. (2001) Repair station report: the year 2000. Air Carrier MRO Handbook, edited by J. Hessburg, 27-31. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Garris, J.T. (2003). Aircraft Maintenance. The Standart Handbook for Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineers, edited by M. Davies, 18.1- 18.82. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Hessburg, J. (2001) Maintenance Fundamentals. Air Carrier MRO Handbook, edited by Jack Hessburg, 245-270. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Friend, C. H. (1997). Aircraft Maintenance Management. London: Harlow, Longman.
- Friend, C. H. (1997). Aircraft Maintenance Management. London: Harlow, Longman. 18-20. Guangzhou, China.
- Torum, O. (1993). Sivil Havacılık Hizmetinde Uçak Bakımı. IV. Ulusal Havacılık Sempozyumu, Eskişehir: Anadolu Üniversitesi, 103-118.
- Yüksel, S. (2008). Türkiye’deki Hava aracı Bakım Faaliyetlerinde Dış Kaynak Kullanımının Araştırılması ve Değerlendirilmesi. Yüksek Lisans Tezi. Anadolu Üniversitesi.
- Froslee, H.M. (2011). Factors Leading to Human Error in Commercial Aviation Line Maintenance., Ph.D. Thesis., Walden University.
- Rashid, H. Place, S, & Braithwaite, G.R. (2014). Eradicating Root Causes of Aviation Maintenance Errors: Introducing the AMMP Cognition, Technology and Work, no. 16, 71–90.
- Van den Bergh, J, De Bruecker, P, Beliën, J, & Peeters, J. (2013) Aircraft Maintenance Operations: State of the Art. HUB Research Paper., Portugal: Lisbon.
- Paluszek, G. (2014). Planning Efficient Airplane Maintenance Facilities. Boeing Aero., no. 54, 19-24.
- Mercan, E. (1999). Havayolu ve Havacılık İşletmelerinde Uçak Bakım Organizasyonu, Yüksek Lisans Tezi., Anadolu Üniversitesi.
- Kinnison, H. (2007). Aviation Maintenance Management McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Wade, E.G. (2011) Exploring the Effect of Human Factors Regulations on Aviation Maintenance Organizations. Ph.D. Thesis., Northcentral University.
- Pourcho, J.B. (2008). Augmented Reality Application Utility for Aviation Maintenance Work Instruction. Master Thesis. South Carolina: Purdue University.
- Haines, R.L.Jr. (2008). The Relationship Between Learning Styles and Test Performance in Aviation Maintenance Technicians. Ph.D. Thesis, Capella University.
- EASA, (2012). Certifying Staff-Part 66, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- SHGM. (2013). Onaylı Hava Aracı Bakım Kuruluşları Talimatında (SHT-145). Ankara: Sivil Havacılık Genel Müdürlüğü.
- Chaparro, A, Rogers, B, Hamblin, C, & Chaparro, B. (2004). Final Report: A Comparison of Three Evaluative Techniques for Validating Maintenance Documentation. Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Scholarly Common Publications.
- Sadasivan, S. (2008). Effective VR: Interplay of Presence, Perception, Fıdelity and Transfer Effects in the Development of Inspection Training Simulators. Ph.D. Thesis, South Carolina.